The Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce along with the Alleghany Highlands Economic Development Corporation are here to help businesses through the COVID-19 crisis. We are compiling resources to help you maintain operations and access assistance. We are focused on preparation and sustainment, not panic. This site will be updated as resources become available.
Small and Non-Profit Business Recovery Grant
Alleghany County, Bath County, the City of Covington and the towns of Clifton Forge and Iron Gate have jointly established a regional $1.6 million grant fund, known as the Alleghany Highlands Small Business Recovery Grant (AHSBRG), to support the region’s small and non-profit businesses recovery efforts following the COVID-19 outbreak.
If you or someone you know is having difficulty in making rent payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be eligible for the Virginia Rent Relief Program (RRP). To find out if you may be eligible, visit www.dhcd.virginia.gov/eligibility. Mortgage relief applications are no longer being accepted at this time.
Corporate, Sales, and Individual Taxes:
- Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can also request to defer the payment of state sales tax due March 20, 2020 for 30 days.
- When granted, businesses will be able to file no later than April 20, 2020 with a waiver of any penalties.
- The Virginia Department of Taxation is extending the due date of payment of Virginia individuals and corporate income taxes. While filing deadlines remain the same, the due date for individual and corporate income tax will now be June 1, 2020.
- Please note that interest will still accrue, so taxpayers who are able to pay by the original deadlines should do so.
Extensions from the IRS
- Individuals: Income tax payment deadlines for individual returns, with a due date of April 15, 2020, are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $1 million of their 2019 tax due. This payment relief applies to all individual returns, including self-employed individuals, and all entities other than C-Corporations, such as trusts or estates.
- Corporations: For C Corporations, income tax payment deadlines are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $10 million of their 2019 tax due.
Provided by My Secure Advantage, Inc.
Provided by All Points EAP
As of March 12, 2020 when Governor Northam declared a State of Emergency in the Commonwealth due to the state-wide spread of COVID-19.
As many of you are aware, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act allocated $350 billion to help small businesses keep workers employed amid the pandemic and economic downturn. Known as the “Paycheck Protection Program,” the initiative provides 100% federally guaranteed loans to small businesses who maintain their payroll during this emergency. Importantly, these loans may be forgiven if borrowers maintain their payrolls during the crisis or restore their payrolls afterward.
Highlands Community Bank understands that some people in our community may be impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic. As part of our commitment to you, we will be offering a variety of solutions that can provide financial relief for our community:
- Paycheck Protection Program *and other disaster related loan programs* in partnership with the Small Business Association (SBA)
- Loan Payment Extensions
- Small Personal Loans
The nonprofit Virginia 30 Day Fund was launched by Virginia technology entrepreneur Pete Snyder and his wife, Burson. Working with other business leaders throughout the Commonwealth, the Fund’s goal is to help save as many Virginia jobs as possible while small businesses await recently approved federal funding.
Due to ongoing concern with the COVA 19 situation, all DVS Virginia Veteran and Family Support Program office sites are closed to in-person assistance. Operations ARE CONTINUING via phone and email. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 5407394236 for assistance. Please be sure to state your name, a return phone number, and your location clearly.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.
Website Contact number for the Alleghany Highlands – (540) 962-0465 - Cell (540) 960-1593
Due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, Alleghany Highlands Community Services has closed our facilities to the public and will conduct all services via phone, telehealth, and video conferencing equipment.
The CARES Act, the largest economic relief package in our nation’s history, was signed into law on March 27 and includes major provisions U.S. Travel fought for to deliver economic support to travel businesses, travel workers and their families.
Up-to-date open Businesses, Public Wi-Fi and Local Dining
*Wi-Fi is available from each location’s parking lot & you are encouraged to use this service during daylight hours.
Alleghany County Governmental Complex
9212 Winterberry Ave. Covington, VA 24426
Alleghany Highlands Regional Library
406 West Riverside Street, Covington, VA, 24426
Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce & Tourism
110 Mall Road, Covington, VA 24426 (Access available 7am-7pm)
Alleghany Highlands Drone Zone (Old Edgemont School)
451 Park Street, Covington, VA 24426
Clifton Forge Public Library
535 Church St, Clifton Forge, VA 24422
Covington City Hall
333 W. Locust St. Covington, VA 24426 (Access available 8am-8pm, 7 days a week)
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
Dabney 1000 Dabney Drive, Clifton Forge, VA 24422
(Park in front of Warren Hall)
Salvation Army – 115 S. Lexington Ave, Covington, VA, M-F 9am – 5pm, 540-962-6206
- Food pantry and emergency financial assistance available during officer hours
- Donation of non-perishable food items and toiletries are needed. Can be dropped off to the office. Monetary donation needed as well
M3 – Minutemen Militia – Working alongside the Salvation Army; if you would like assistance, please reach out to the Salvation Army.
Local Office on Aging – 246 W. Main St. Covington, VA, 540-962-0465
- The Local Office on Aging collects non-perishable food items and personal care items for seniors over the age of 60 and homebound in the Alleghany Highlands.
Alleghany Highlands Community Services - 205 E. Hawthorne St. *Closed to the public but accepting calls – 540-965-2100
- Psychiatric, therapy, and group appointments will be completed by phone and video conferencing. Case managers are still available, and will also continue services through the use of phones and video conferencing equipment. They will also work with you to ensure you have your medication
Safehome Systems, Inc. – 24-hour hotline – 540-965-3237
- Safehome is an advocacy and support agency for victims, survivors and family members of domestic violence, dating violence, and sexual violence. We serve the counties of Bath, Alleghany and Highland, the city of Covington, and the towns of Iron Gate and Clifton Forge Virginia.
By phone for ALL BENEFITS-Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, Childcare-1-855-635-4370, MEDICAID ONLY-1-855-242-8282
- If you need to make a Child Protective Services or Adult Protective Services report, Monday - Friday from 8 to 5 call 540-965-1780 ext. 241.
- After hours, holidays and weekends-CPS- 1-800-552-7096, APS 1-888-832-3858
Veterans Affairs – Due to ongoing concern with the COVID-19 situation, all DVS Virginia Veteran and Family Support Program office sites are closed to in-person assistance. Operations ARE CONTINUING via phone and email. Please contact email@example.com or 540-739-4236 for assistance. Please be sure to state your name, a return phone number, and your location clearly. Virginia Employment Commission – 540-962-1151, www.vawc.virginia.gov.